Tuesday, April 2, 2013

DIY | Fabric Covered Wire Words

Hello Friends!

Yesterday you caught a glimpse of my fabric scrap stash, and today a super fun DIY that utilizes that stash!  Hip hip!  Let's git to it!

The Goods:

  • Wire {16 Gauge or beefier} or Regular Craft Pipe Cleaners
  • Strips of fabric 3/8" - 1/2" Wide {I used cotton but you can totally get creative!  Yarn perhaps!  they don't have to be perfect and the length doesn't matter much}
  • Craft Glue
  • A print of the script you would like to use as a guide {Or you can freestyle the lettering}
  • Scissors
  • Wire-cutters {I prefer heavy duty since they are made of a stronger metal and don't damage easily}
  • Pliers {whatever you think will help you bend the wire if necessary}

The How To:

1.  Decide what word you would like to make.  You can write the word out with marker or print one from the web you find interesting.  OR  you can totally freestyle and make it up as you go!  I chose "hello" for a template and then freestyled the word "pancake."

2.  If you are using pipe cleaners twist them together to make them stronger.  If you are using the other wire you can start to uncoil it a little bit to begin forming the letters.


3.  Now it is time to bend out some letters!  During this step you may want to use the pliers to form some of your curves. 


Ta-Da!


4.  Snip the end if necessary.

5.  Now it is time to wrap!  First I cut off small bits of the strips of fabric to cover the ends of the letters.  I put glue on the fabric and samiched it on and then wrapped it when I got to that section.




6.  Then add a bit of glue to the long strip of fabric and Wrap Wrap Wrap Wrap!





7.  If it looks like a fuzzy little caterpillar like mine did at the end do not fret cause you can trim it up.


8.  YOU DID IT!! 


{hahahaha!}

Now that was a scraptastic project!

Love ya bunches!!
~Megan








6 comments:

  1. Those turned out really nice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the DIY, Meg! I've been wanting to do this forever, I can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this...I may have to have you make one that says, "hello world" for our newborn pix. I will send you the idea I have for birth announcements. You're creativity always amazes me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steph! That would be adorable in a newborn pic!! You totally made my heart smile! Warm fuzzies!

      Delete