Thursday, April 4, 2013

DIY | Mini-Bunting

Two DIY's in one week!?  Hip hip hooray!!

Continuing with my scraptastic theme we'll be making a mini-bunting!


The Goods:

  • Scraps of fabric {i chose all cotton fabrics}
  • Twine or string
  • Scissors
  • Pencil
  • Bunting template {old file folder, used mac-n-cheeze box...whatev}
  • Craft Glue
  • Starch {optional}


The How To:

1.  I like to iron all my scraps and starch them to give them some rigidity and it also keeps them from fraying as much.

2.  Draw and cut out the shape you would like your bunting to be, keeping in mind you will need it to be about 1/4" longer on top to fold over the string later.  I wanted traditional triangles so I drew my shape on an old file folder.  Since it is a mini-bunting I made it about 2" in length plus the 1/4" for the fold-over.

TIP: When making a triangle bunting template that you intend to fold the top, it helps to draw the template like a diamond.

3.  Cut a length of string leaving extra length on the ends for securing to it's future home.  

TIP:  Better to have too much on the ends than not enough.

4.  Cut out lots-o-flags to accommodate the length you want your bunting to be.


5.  With right side facing down, finger press or iron the top edge of each flag 1/4".


6.  Apply a bead of craft glue to the inside crease, place string {a ways in to leave a tail for the tie}, and smoosh.



{nice smoosh}

{I placed my flags about 3/4" apart.}

7.  Continue gluing and smooshing until you reach the desired length. 


Ta-Daaaa!  You just completed another scraptastic project!


Love ya bunches!!
~Megan





2 comments:

  1. Nice :) Like the new blog design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim!!! Before I gave it an overhaul I considered my favorite blogs and yours was one of them. I adore the simplicity of your layout in contrast to your rich photography!

      Delete