Monday, April 1, 2013

Potholders!

Catchy title right!?  HAHA!  I have been wanting to try my hand at quilting for a while now.  Instead of jumping right to a big project I thought it would be better to experiment with some mini quilted projects...POTHOLDERS!  Super fun!  First I measured a square of batting and Insul-Bright to the size I wanted the potholder to be.  {I chose a 9" x 9" square.}  Then I dove into my fabric scrap stash and these are what I came up with!  On the first two I made them sans-binding and just turned them inside out and top stitched the edges.

I found a scrap of material that had a fun graphic print that would make a neat focal point for the potholder.  I love the vibrant colors in the print and found some other bright material to complement it.

After I made my quilt square, sewed up the samich, flipped it right side out, top stitched the edges, I then did some machine stitching through the entire potholder.

I did the same thing to this potholder and just experimented in a different design.

{Orange ya glad potholders protect your hands?} hahaha!

This was a fun experiment with binding!  I found a couple of tutorials on YouTube that gave simple approaches to binding a quilt and potholder.

{I did some top-stitching before I added my binding.}

For this potholder I started at the top left and sewed each piece directly to the batting instead of creating the quilt block and then sewing it to the batting.

Since I sewed the fabric directly to the batting I left the back piece just to be stitched along the edges.

There are so many ways to make a potholder!  It has been a really satisfying project because I could experiment with my scrap material trying different techniques and it didn't take much time to complete. 

While I did utilize some of my scrap material I still have quite a bit left and I have come up with some really fun ideas for more scraptastic projects!!  Check back tomorrow for another scrap stash project!!

Love ya bunches!
~Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment